Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Tiarks School of Dance


Above are some pictures from my dance class.

Tiarks School of Dance has been in Harlan for 32 years and is located at 610 Market Street, Harlan IA. For those who are not familiar with Harlan, the dance studio is located in downtown Harlan on the north side of the square. Fall classes just started a week before Labor Day. They offer a variety of classes: Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Lyrical, Character, Toe Ballet, Tumbling, Intermediate Tumbling, Advanced Tumbling, Power Advanced Tumbling, and Adults tap. Also they offer a Mommy/Daddy and me dance/tumbling class. There are 5 instructors; Janice Tiarks (Tumbling), Jill Daeges (Tap and Jazz), Lisa Buman (Ballet and Lyrical), Shannon Kramer (Tumbling), and Janelle Tiarks (Tumbling).

This is Haley1 for HCHS News and I have asked a couple of the dancers and instructors some questions while they were waiting for their class to start.


Q:How long have you been teaching?
Shannon- 6 years but if you include my student teaching then 11 years.
Janice- 53 years.

Q: What do you enjoy about teaching?
Shannon- I like to see the students accomplish their stunts.

Q: Do you enjoy working with the littler kids?
Shannon- I do.

Q: What classes are you taking?
Dru- tumbling, character, and jazz(hip-hop).
Chandler- tumbling, jazz(hip-hop), point ballet, lyrical, and tap.
Danielle- Jazz(hip-hop) and tumbling.

Q:How long have you been in dance?
Dru- like 1 and 1/2 I think
Chandler- like since I was 4 or 5 years old
Danielle- like since I was 5 years old
Haley- since I was like 3 and 1/2 years old

Q: What is your favorite stunt?
Dru and Danielle- round off back handsprings
Chandler- back handspring
Shannon- aerial

I'd like to thank Kate D. for taking pictures and I apologize for the few pictures that are blurred. Tiarks School of Dance has a website that is currently still in progress, its www.tiarksschoolofdance.com

This has been Haley1 for HCHS News.

No comments: