Friday, April 16, 2010

Autism Awareness


As most of you all know this past week has been Autism Awareness week. Now Autism Awareness isn’t just only one week. All throughout the year there are many activities the school does. For example there is an autism walk in the summer, selling of t-shirts, and much more.

For those of you who don't know what autism is, autism is a developmental disorder that appears in the first 3 years of life, and affects the brain's normal development of social and communication skills. Basically it’s children and adults that have a very hard time communicating and making friends due to their lack of social skills. This is not something that can be cured or you can get rid of. So we try our best to support autism and autistic kids.

I really never knew what autism was until I met one of my best friends. Her oldest brother was autistic. He was, from what I could tell, normal, until I started to spend more time with him. He overacted over quite simple things, and continued to talk about random items in the house. I knew he wasn’t “normal” after that. I eventual found out what he had when my friend explained.

Over all autism is somewhat a common thing, and it’s not going anywhere so lets all try to support these children (:

No comments: