Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Potential of My Generation by Chris Schaben

Now that I am only a few weeks away from graduating high school, I must begin to think about the future. But thinking about things that haven’t happened yet kind of scares me. Who knows what will happen in the future? I’m just beginning to realize that once I walk out those doors with a diploma in my hand, every choice I make will be my own. I can no longer continue to be dependent on my parents and teachers. They have prepared me for the future up until now, but from here on, I must face it independently.

I know I’m not the only one who feels this way about what’s coming next. The entire future of America rests on the shoulders of my generation! No pressure, right? In a few decades from now, we will be in charge of leading and supporting this country. Look around! All these teenagers you see have the potential to have an impact on the lives of others. Who knows where all of us will be? One of us could be in the military, fighting to keep freedom in this country. One of us could be a doctor, saving the lives of critically injured people every day. And one of us could even be one of the next presidents of the United States, leading the country through the good times and the bad. All of these people are still just in high school right now, but think of the potential waiting for them when they enter the working world!

I think my generation will do great things in the future. With inspiration from past generations, we can continue to grow in knowledge and will not make the same mistakes others might have made in the past. Our generation will be able to achieve things that no others could. Take technology, for instance. When my parents were in school, they barely knew how to type on the computer! But in our modern society, people of our generation are exposed to computers every day. With our knowledge of using these and other machines, the career possibilities are nearly endless. With the new innovative technologies ahead, we will be able to find new ways of doing things.

Our modern society is also much different than that of other eras. Can you think of any other time where people were more equal in rights no matter what gender, race, religion, or sexuality they are? We weren’t alive to see the long term effects of harsh segregation or discrimination, and we’ve always been conscious of minorities and people that are different. This is a key element to our success in the future. Because of the acceptance of all kinds of people, we will be more likely to work together and build a strong future. All of our accomplishments will form a chain reaction that continues to develop through later generations. The choices we make right now will impact the future of America. So, what do you say? Does our generation have what it takes to continue the excellence and success of this country?

No comments: