Sunday, October 10, 2010

Animals & Health


First I’ll start off with a long list of ‘Thank yous’ to all of the
animals sharing my home at the moment. Thank you, Bullet, Frankie,
Lucy, Key, Booster, Booner, Cherokee, Stormy, Kentucky Lightning,
Perry, Edwin, Razzle-Dazzle, Moon unit, and Daisy, thank you for
bringing such joy to my life. There have been many animals before
them, including more dogs, more cats, pairs of short-lived chickens,
rabbits, frogs, fish, lizards, hamsters, fiddler crabs, and birds.



Thank you to the dogs who allowed themselves to be dressed, have
their nails painted, and treated like horses to a 10 year old girl.
There have been birds who, if not liked by the girl, would have been
eaten by the sleek and sly grey tabby cat. And we can’t forget the
wiener dog who had been hit by a semi truck and spun like a football,
dropped down the stairs, and kicked off the bed in the night.



Studies show that more than 57% of U.S households own one or more
animals, so to those of you who have never owned a pet, I would
suggest you go adopt one as soon as possible. There is plenty of
scientific research that proves animals are good for your health!
Research conducted in retirement homes has proved that within just ten
minutes of interaction with an animal can lower blood pressure and
increase finger temperature, both signs of relaxation. They also
improve alertness and mood. Dogs can be used with children who are
undergoing stressful or scary procedures, by calming them down. Dogs
make great companions, ‘mans best friend,’ they are always there to
greet you when you get home, always ready to play, never mad at you
for something you messed up or didn’t do right, and they also
encourage exercise! Taking your dog on a walk will keep you healthy
and slim. Animals are always there to play, to lean on, and to offer a
listening ear. If you’re allergic to pet dander or fur, choose another
furless and featherless pet, like a new dog hybrid (Cockapoo’s,
Corkie’s, and labradoodles) or a bird or reptile. Make sure if you are
new to owning animals, you choose one whose personality, size, health,
and cleaning requirements fit your daily life. Animals need just as
much love as we do, and they need to be kept clean and healthy.




Animals are a wonderful thing to have around, and they teach you
countless things in life. They bring people pure joy, excitement, and
love. Pets are straight-forward about their needs, and they will beg
until they get them.
The animals I have now each bring me something new and exciting. I
have dogs, Bullet and Frankie, who beg for my affection, and food,
whenever they are around. My cats, Booster, Lucy, and Key, just want
to cuddle up in my lap and fall asleep. They depend on me for food and
shelter, but can also find these things on their own. My horses,
Stormy and Cherokee, rely on me for exercise, food, and to keep them
clean and healthy. Horses are a big responsibility and since they
recently ate all of the grass in their pasture, they have to be fed
hay several times a day. Horses love to run, and they love going out
for rides.




My peacock, Perry, is such a beautiful creature, who we
didn’t expect to get along with my other animals, yet, they all love
him, and he yearns to hang out with my 4 ducks. Peacocks have amazing
eyesight, can fly long distances, surprisingly, for how big they are,
and sleep on perches at night, not cuddled up in their feathers. My
ducks Edwin, Razzle-Dazzle, Daisy, and Moon Unit are awkward and
hilarious birds, who follow each other around, can be taken into
public to follow you around, and love worms and cat food. Kentucky
Lightning is my ferret, and she can get stinky! Ferrets have a dance
called the ‘weasel war-dance,’ they do this when they are excited and want to
play. It is a serious of chirps and jumping sideways, or moves called ‘dooks.’ I
never thought a ferret could be so funny and playful, and so sweet and
cuddly when they are worn out. Ferrets make great pets and teach you
tons of responsibility because there cages need cleaned every day,
and they drink tons of water.



Last, but definitely not least, Booner,
my adorable baby white-tail deer. I found him in a field about five
months ago, and he was so little he couldn’t even walk yet. I had to
bottle feed him three nine ounce bottles of goats milk three to five
times a day until he was old enough to start eating grass, corn, and
grain. He took a lot of responsibility, but I knew I would raise him
to be healthy. He recently lost all of his white spots, and grew in
little antlers. He follows me around when I’m outside and kisses me
all over my face. Booner definitely taught me a lot of responsibility,
a lot about deer, and a lot about relationships. I think he will teach
me even more with the months to come.
These are my pets and they bring me a lot of happiness. I wouldn’t be
who I am today without them. They are my pets, my friends, and my
family.

No comments: