The HCHS Boy's tennis team opened the 2011 season with a 6-3 victory over Thomas Jefferson on Tuesday, April 5. "With three new varsity players playing in their first meet, I knew there would some nerves today and that showed a little bit with some inconsistent hitting. Overall though, we played well enough to defeat a much improved TJ team," Coach Chad Bruns said. "Nate, Willy, Nick and Jacob all played very well in there singles matches getting wins for us. In doubles, the teams of Riley/Nate and Jacob/Austin got wins for us as well. Jacob and Austin played a marathon match that lasted over an hour and a half winning in tiebreaker. It was a great win for the team and for their confidence."
Harlan Community hosts Abraham Lincoln on Thursday and Denison on Friday.
HCHS(1-0) defeated TJ 6-3.
1. Nate Ohms defeated Nolan Dix 10-5
2. Willy Henrich defeated Dustin Zuelsdorf 10-4
3. Nick Petsche defeated Brad Stokes 10-2
4. Riley Finn lost to Marc Segovia 6-10
5. Jacob Petsche defeated Conor Hilz 10-0
6. Austin Euchner lost to Kyle Hall 9-11
1. Willy Henrich/Nick Petsch lost to Dix/Stokes 7-10
2. Nate Ohms/Riley Finn defeated Zuelsdorf/Segovia 10-6
3. Jacob Petsche/Austin Euchner defeated Brad Collinson/Alex Salak 11-10(7-3)
HCHS JV(1-0) defeated TJ JV 3-1
1. Brett Weldon lost to Alex Salak 2-6
2. Alex Schaben defeated Steven Riley 7-6(7-2)
1. Weldon/Schaben defeated Clayton Starner/Colton Jensen 6-1
2. Weldon/Schaben defeated Tim Domayer/Jake Taylor 6-1