Thursday, August 2, 2007

Freshman to State!


This year the Boys Cyclone Track team has had a pretty successful year. Friday, the district meet was held to advance to state. The boys and girls teams represented very well and advanced many. The big surprise was that while last year the boys team qualified four different freshman in four various events, this year the team only boasts one. That lone frosh was Michael Kaufmann, member of the 4×800 team. I had a chance to interview Michael about some of his thoughts on state track, and being the lone frosh.

Q: Michael, being the lone freshman for the HCHS boys team at state, are you intimidated by the blue track, the large number of fans, and all the animals you will be running against?

A: No, I’ve never been there and I really don’t know what to expect. I’m just going to run my race and try to block all of that out. Besides, it’s not that intimidating.

Q: What are your thoughts for the 4×8 team at state?

A: Well we qualify in 15th, so I’m hoping to break the top ten or maybe place (1st - 8th). I think we’ll be able to do it.

Q: What are your goals individually?

A: Well I’m looking to run a 2:05 half, and just give my teammates a chance.

Q: Do you think it’s odd that there is only one freshman going to state this year?

A: No, not really. It’s all about who you are behind on the team. I am lucky enough to run with some of the fastest guys in the state. When the older kids graduate, the younger kids will just fill in.

Q:And finally, do you think you will have to carry the bag of batons, and do all the scrub work, just like the freshman did last year?

A: Yes, probably. Jeff Hastert will make me.

So it looks like Michael has some pretty optimistic goals set for the 4×8 team this year at state. Hopefully he follows through as well as the other teams of boys and girls. Good luck at State this year and hopefully the freshman don’t fall in. This has been Jeff Hastert signing off for HCHS News!

No comments: