Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Day in the Life of A Line Judge


I'm here with line judge extraordinaire Chad Bruns interviewing him on his mad line judging skills.

Q: Why are you a line judge?

Bruns: Well, the long time line judge, Tony Beach, moved out of town and Mitch Osborn asked me to take his spot this year.

Q: Do you like line judging?

Bruns: It's fine, especially when it goes three games(with us winning). It's fun to watch the team play especially when they are playing well.

Q: What's the toughest part of being a line judge?

Bruns: Their is always at least one controversial call every match. Making those calls is the toughest part. We need that slow mo camera like pro tennis matches have now. Standing can also get a bit tiring, especially volunteer standing.

Q: What's the most controversial call you have made this year?

Bruns: On Tuesday, Abby was on the very back line and I called that she hit it. I was the only one that saw it and so I called it. I'm not sure if it was my call to make but it was obvious to me that she hit it.

Q: Are you sure she hit it?

Bruns: I am. The ball went past her and then changed direction. I asked her the next day or so if she had hit it and Abby said she wasn't sure.

Q: So what do you think?

Bruns: She hit it no doubt. I could tell how she looked at me that she hit it. And she never said she didn't hit it.

Q: Can you tell us what's happening in the picture I'm including in the story?

Bruns: May I see it? Oh, yea this was a big point as you can tell by how focused I am. Of course I am always focused.

Q: How do you prepare for line judging?

Bruns: Blood, sweat and tears. Tears I say! No really, I stretch a bit before going on the floor as it is a lot of standing. If I'm feeling crazy, I might down a pop before I come to up the energy level and focus.

Q: What advice do you give to all those fledgling line judges out there?

Bruns: Stay focused on the point, watch the lines and tips very close and when you make a controversial call, call it quick and with confidence!! Don't let the coaches or fans get to you.

Q: Who is your favorite player?

Bruns: That's a loaded question! Anyway, while watching big spikes is really fun, I appreciate the work the setters and passers do. Without them, spikes don't happen. I won't name names. Sorry!

Q: Anything else you would like to say?

Bruns: Yes. I'd like to give a shout out to my partner Mr. John Connell who does an outstanding job calling the lines as well! Go Cyclone Volleyball!!!

Once again, I would like to thank HCHS line judge Chad Bruns for his time and his service.

HCHS News Special Report

No comments: