Saturday, September 15, 2007

Interview with a Marine



Does this person look familiar? Some of you may already know him. This is Pvt. James J. Sheehan, USMC. He is a Class of 2007 graduate from HCHS. I recently sat down and interviewed James, because I thought it would be interesting to know what it's like being a Marine. This is our interview:

Q: How did you become interested in the Marines?
A: I have always been interested in the military. I was actually going to join the Navy but I went and talked to a Marine recruiter. We talked for about 3 hours. I loved everything he said and I also like how he had already started to think of me as a brother or part of the family. Two days later I signed up for infantry. I love it and don't regret it one bit.

Q: What's it like having a structured lifestyle?
A: I like it because you’re on your own but when you’re at work you have your orders to complete the objective or the mission.

Q: Describe what you do in training and how long does it last?
A: Training is 13 weeks long. You learn all the basic things you need to know to be a Marine: swim in full combat gear, rifle range, crucible, teamwork and leadership, pushups, sit ups, pull-ups, and all Marines love to run.

Q: What are the main things that marines do?
A: Marines are America's 9-1-1. We can be anywhere in the world in 48 hours. We are the first to fight. The marines are known for their infantry and we are the ones going in on the front lines risking our lives.

Q: How often do you get to come back and visit?
A: Whenever I get the time (not often). I get 30 days of leave a year, but it’s hard to find time to use them. We also get all those government holidays off.

Q: Do you think you will be sent to Iraq? And are you worried if you do?
A: Yes I will go to Iraq if I am sent. No I am not worried; I want to go. I'm going to volunteer to go sooner if I can.

Q: What were some of your highlights of being a Marine so far?
A: I haven’t really been in long enough to have highlights, but I would say the brotherhood. It's amazing how good of friends you make.

Q: What are the meals like?
A: The meals in boot camp are pretty good. They are really healthy but you can still get some dessert. Usually you’re so hungry and tired you will eat anything. MRE (meals ready to eat) are what we eat in the field. They aren’t bad, but they are kind of dry. You need to drink a lot of water with them, but they are packed fully of energy. They have like 2000 calories per one MRE, but you burn these off pretty quick in the field.

So that was my interview with Pvt. James J. Sheehan, USMC. For HCHS News Blog, this is Haley1 signing off.

No comments: