The Harlan Community boy's tennis team opened the 2017 hosting Abe Lincoln Council Bluffs and ended up losing a very close meet 4-5. The Cyclones returned four of their top six varsity players from a year ago but were without their number one player, Isaac Stitz, who was not available to play in the meet. "It was a tough loss for us today as it came down to one match," Coach Chad Bruns said. "Abe Lincoln has been good for so long so it was good to see a good, competitive meet with them today. It's unfortunate that we were not at full strength today but I thought everyone gave their best and will get a lot of great experience from this meet."
Highlights in singles were wins by Alec Plagman and Kaleb Kaster. "Alec had his appendix out a couple of weeks ago and was given the greenlight to play just an hour before the meet started. Without much practice, winning 8-1 was quite an impressive performance for sure. As far as Kaleb is concerned, his hitting confidence continues to grow each year as he continues to improve his overall game," Bruns added.
Highlights in doubles were convincing wins at #1 and #2 doubles. "Our veteran players really stepped up tonight and played good tennis. Josh and Kaleb picked up right where they left off last year with a 8-3 win and then it was great to see Alec and first year player Caleb Rasmussen win as well."
The Cyclones host St. Albert's on April 3 and Denison on April 6 and travel to Thomas Jefferson Council Bluffs on April 4.
Listen to Coach Bruns' KNOD Radio Report .
1. Josh Cheek lost to Caleb Snead 5-8
2. Alec Plagman defeated Nick Wailes 8-1
3. Kaleb Kaster defeated Devin O'Neil 8-2
4. Jonny Cheek lost to Chandler Von McMullen 3-8
5. Caleb Rasmussen lost 5-8 to Tyler Reiss
6. Preston Mulligan lost 3-8 to Reed Wildasen
1. Josh Cheek/Kaleb Kaster defeated Caleb Snead/Nick Wailes 8-3
2. Alec Plagman/Caleb Rasmussen defeated Devin O'Neill/Chandler Von McMullen 8-2
3. Jonny Cheek/Preston Mulligan lost to Tyler Reiss/Reed Wildasen 4-8
Overall Record: 0-1
1. Joey Fields lost to Ethan Snead 3-8
2. Bailey Schmitz defeated Peyton Rediger 9-8(7-3)
3. Jack Buman defeated Anthony Rodriguez 8-3
4. Bryan Hanson defeated Mike Wailles 8-1
5. Lucas Schmitz defeated Nathan Fisher 8-1
Lucas Schmitz defeated Matt Reiff 8-0
1. Joey Fields/Bailey Schmitz defeated Tanner Morriss/Humet Gerriets 6-1
2. Jack Buman/Bryan Hanson defeated Carter Morgan/Brendon Foote 6-2
Overall JV Record: 1-0