Sunday, October 7, 2007

Recognizing the Out of the Ordinary

BubbleShare: Share photos - Share your baby pictures



The Belin-Blank Center at the University of Iowa is a highly acclaimed program. Belin-Blank helps to recognize talented and gifted students and give them opportunities to show their stuff. The center offers several programs and tests throughout the course of the year. Two of these programs are the Iowa Governor's Institute summer program and the Blank Summer Institute program. Six girls from Harlan attended the Iowa Governor's Institute program this past summer, and three girls from Harlan attended the Blank Summer Institute. These nine girls include Kristine Arkfeld, Jenny Bjoin, Jordan Brelje, Jesse Byrnes, Amber Carl, Danielle Hernandez, Ellen Klitgaard, Sarah Olson, and Sara Pape. On Saturday, Oct. 6 there was a recognition ceremony for the participants in these programs as well as several other Belin-Blank-sponsored programs. The following is an interview with Sara Pape and Amber Carl about their experiences with the summer programs and the ceremony.

1. Q: Which of the Belin-Blank programs did you attend or participate in?
Amber: Iowa Governor's Institute
Sara: Blank Summer Institute

2. Q: What did your specific program focus on?
Amber: Leadership
Sara: Mine focused on eight different areas of academics. I attended for advanced science.

3. Q: What was the application process like to be accepted into your program?
Amber: You had to write an essay and get teacher recommendations.
Sara: We had to write an essay and send in our ACT scores and grades. Then we had to get teacher recommendations.

4. Q: How long did your program last and where did it take place?
Amber: It lasted two weeks on the University of Iowa campus.
Sara: It lasted for two weeks at the Belin-Blank Center at the University of Iowa.

5. Q: What was the best part about your experience with the program you attended?
Amber: Making so many new friends!
Sara: Making so many new friends!

6. Q: What was the ceremony on Saturday, Oct. 6 for, and what did you have to do to prepare for it?
Amber: It was a recognition ceremony, and I had to select a teacher who I thought had made an impact on my life and education to join me.
Sara: The ceremony was to recognize the students who went to the campus this summer. To prepare for it I had to sign up online and choose a teacher to come with me.

7. Q: Which teacher did you choose to take and why?
Amber: I chose Mrs. Ludwig. It was a close choice between her and Mr. English as they are both really great teachers. I chose Mrs. Ludwig because I was able to learn a lot from her, and without her I wouldn't have been at that ceremony.
Sara: I chose Mrs. Ludwig because we were supposed to choose the teacher who had influenced us most. Mrs. Ludwig was my TAG teacher, and she really made a difference.

8. Q: Where was this ceremony held?
Amber: It was held in the Iowa Memorial Union building on the University of Iowa campus.
Sara: It was at the Iowa Memorial Union building at the University of Iowa.

9. Q: What was the best part of the ceremony and what type of award did you receive?
Amber: Seeing all of my friends from camp that I missed a bunch. I received a medal for receiving a scholarship.
Sara: The best part of the ceremony was texting everybody while the speakers were on stage. The award I received was a medal. Everyone got one for attending.

10. Q: Are you glad that you participated in one of the Belin-Blank Center programs?
Amber: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sara: Of course I am! I hope to go back next summer!

There you have it. This has been jordanb1 for HCHS News, signing off!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You remembered all of the exclamation points! :)